Friday, April 2, 2010

My Mom and Her Joy




If you've ever met my Mom, you've no doubt come away with a smile on your face. My mom is the perfect blend of spiritual mindedness and fun! She strives to portray her "joy of the Lord" and is not satisfied with a mundane walk with her Saviour. She truly harbors the talent of making others laugh, feel loved and appreciated. I believe her gift of making others feel special is rare, yet crucial in reaching the lost. It stems from a zeal for life and true compassion bound up in a heart of love for others. Her foremost desire is to be a witness that Christ can be seen in.

My Mom was born in Japan, due to her father being in the military, and lived in several different states growing up. She was one of six children (four being boys) and there was never a dull moment in their household. They have quite the adventures to share! From prom queen, and fun-loving cheerleader, to a woman of prayer and devotion to the Lord, my Mom has learned a lot in her lifetime. She'll be the first to tell you that there's nothing wrong with "having fun" but there's so much more to life than that. Many do not know the trials and hardships my Mom has faced in her life, but the wisdom and discernment that she has gained from these experiences have shaped her into the wonderful, Godly woman she is today! Before she was saved, she learned that "the way of the transgressor is hard". Through the difficulties, and a life changing salvation, she has been refined into a woman of Godliness, and has become a woman of constant prayer. She has seen firsthand that the Lord blesses those who love Him and desire to please Him with their all.


I look up to my Mom in more ways than I can say, but a couple of the significant ways are her diligent prayer life and the way she relies on the Lord. She always encourages me to pray about things, no matter if it's as simple as finding something I misplaced or a more serious matter of the heart. I have seen the Lord answer her countless prayers and she has been faithful to give the Lord all the credit. I'm forever grateful for her praying for my salvation and secondly the gift of a wonderful spouse. She prayed diligently for the Lord to give me a Godly man to marry and by His grace, the Lord gave me just that!! She is always willing to offer spiritual counsel, for which I deeply appreciate. I've been at many crossroads of decision in my life and never once has she failed to speak the truth in love. Without a doubt, I can say that my mom's steadfastness to the Lord and consistent prayer life helped to soften my heart to the gospel. Her testimony was instrumental in helping me to see myself as a wicked, helpless sinner before a righteous Almighty God! She has exemplified a fear of the Lord which in turn brings about wisdom and understanding. Pr. 8:11 "For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it." She has taught me the invaluable lesson of seeking for wisdom and Godliness out of fear of the Lord instead of the emptiness that the world has to offer. She has known the world and warned me of its "pleasures of sin for a season", reminding me to stay faithful to the Lord no matter the cost. When we keep the Lord FIRST, He will bless. Through the heartaches of life she has demonstrated the importance of relying on the Lord for EVERYTHING! She'll humbly tell you how the Lord has worked through her failures, turning them into successes because she was faithful to Him.

If I can be half the woman my mom is, I'll know I've done well…..thank you Mom for everything you've done for me, your Godly example and your unconditional love! I love you!


 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad I know you Karen. Most would never know the trials you've been through nor what you carry on your heart today. You have learned much in the school of "hard knocks" but it has strengthened you in the Lord. You are a blessing to me personally! I love you Karen Banner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed time spent with you! I'm glad that you and your family are here today. Love, alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen you are a joy and blessing to me. I am blessed to have you as a friend... Your smile and consistency to keep on even in the hard times..truly is an encouragement... I am so thankful the Lord has brought you to Larimore, you and your family are a blessing...

    ReplyDelete