Friday, October 1, 2010

Good Things Come in Little Packages

Written By Rachael MacArthur

Every time I hear the statement “Good things come in little packages,” I am reminded of my amazing mother. What she lacks in height, she more than makes up for in character. No one can doubt her integrity as she lives out the true Christian faith every day in front of us. I most admire her for the stand she has taken for our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. She has been a genuine example of what it means to be a Christian and is truly a precious gem. Raising her children by the Bible hasn’t always been easy for her, and indeed, there have been many trials and struggles along the way, but the Lord has deeply blessed her for her faithfulness.

Proverbs 3:5-6 directs us to “lean not unto thine own understanding” but instead to trust in the Lord. Taking these verses to heart, my mom has made this her life’s motto. In many cases, trusting the Lord was all she could do. One could easily say she is the virtuous woman described in Proverbs 31, for “she looketh well to the ways of her household.” She has always exhibited patience when dealing with us children, and believe me, we weren’t exactly angels either. While serious when the situation calls for it, my mother also knows how to have fun. Thinking of all the times I’ve taken her for granted, I become deeply ashamed. I can’t even begin to imagine life without her in it. It’s so amazing how she always knows how to make me feel all better when I’m sick or upset! Somehow life’s massive burdens don’t seem nearly as heavy with Mom there to help me carry the load. In addition, it is extremely encouraging to see her dedication in reading her Bible and praying fervently.


I once heard a song called “When Momma Prayed” that had me bawling immediately, because it so accurately described my incredible mother. You see, when my momma prayed, we knew the Lord was listening. In fact, our family is the way it is today because of her being on bended knees so much. My dad is saved and serving God now and so is my older brother…because Mom prayed and believed God. So much can be learned from this lovely little lady that I’m blessed to call…my mother. In fact, if one would just take the time to get to know her, they too, would certainly receive a blessing in return.!

I love you Mom!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Rachael - You are a blessed young lady! - Your mom is truly an example of a Godly lady and her Love and Praise for her Lord is always on her lips.. May your love and honor for her grow even more in your years ahead and that you too will become a woman for others, as moms example is today for those of us she has helped. Mom is a true friend to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I count it a priveledge that I too can call you Mom. I couldn't have asked for a more Godly, loving future mother-in-law. Thank you for all the encouragement and love that you have given to me not just in the recient months but in all the years that I have known you. I love you, Mom! -Jenn (soon to be MacArthur)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one that has always admired Laurie's submissive humble spirit. She is a wonderful example for me. And I am so thankful that my daughter will have the opportunity to be around that humble spirit a lot once she becomes a MacArthur. I know she will be under good influence. Laurie will be a wonderful Mother-in-Law and my daughter will learn much from her. Thank you MacAuthurs for accepting Jenn into your family. Love you all, Susan N.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your heart about your mom Rachael. It was a blessing to me. You and Your mom are so precious and I love you both. Mrs. Cobb

    ReplyDelete