Monday, August 2, 2010

My Mom, A Woman of Grace




I am so thankful that I can share my mom with you.  My mom has a special grace that is so uncommon to women today. This grace makes her extra special to me and those who know my mother will agree. She has the quiet ability to make herself ‘invisible’.

Anyone who knows my mom, already recognizes the quiet grace of Christ-likeness, which is seen in her at those ‘invisible’ times.    Oh, yes, it is still my mom in the physical form, but if you look close enough, you will see that it is not her at all. It is her Lord showing and working through her.

Because of this trait of ‘invisibility’, it manifests itself in gifts and services to others.  Many of her gifts are given without the recipient knowing who it is from. She serves to the best of her ability hoping to stay invisible to the lime light and leave all the glory to the Lord. She would tell you that she really does not do that much, but I know better. She does more than anybody could ever guess. 

Another thing I appreciate about my mom shows up when people have hurt her. I have watched several times as friends and former students of hers have gone by the way side and left all they have been taught, in spite of all that she did for them. Instead of having a pity party for herself, she becomes ‘invisible’ to the hurt feelings and bitterness that could develop.  She just continues to love them and commits those people to her Lord, through prayer. 

Another grace I see in mom is the ability to read minds. Within  a very few seconds she can know exactly what I am thinking and feeling with just a simple glance at my face.
She has had this  uncanny power ever since I can remember. Growing up I thought I was very good at hiding things from mom, but I really was not. She was always there for me with a waiting smile to cheer my sadness.  Her calm reassurance was there to still my nerves, share excitement in my happiness, or offer a stern look of disappointment when I disobeyed. It amazes me to this day how she can pretty much always know where I’m at, without my speaking a word!

My mother is also very thrifty!  Her frugality was a much needed skill. Although my brother and I were very unaware of it growing up…. we were poor! We would have never guessed it!  There was always plenty of food on the table and we never went hungry. I can remember being told that we should not expect many presents under the tree for every Christmas, but when each Christmas finally came, presents were somehow, miraculously overflowing from under the tree. Erich and I were not given just anything we wanted however.

Mom and dad both taught us the value of earning things we wanted and showed us how to be thankful for what we had even if it was not the best name brand money could buy.



There is something new I have learned about my mom.  She has only acquired this trait  in a little over three months time. This is the power of hypnosis. Now, there is no need to be anxious, unless of course you are a crying grandbaby! It is incredible to watch my newborn son, Micah, go from bawling to sleeping peacefully in Grandma’s arms, in no time at all!  It is wonderful to see her love for him overflowing. It is assuring to know that Micah is always in good hands with his grandma. 

I could go on and on as my mom has many more amazing and wonderful gifts. I am so thankful for her and cannot honor her enough. I am so blessed to have her as my mother.  She may not be perfect, but, to me at least, she is about as close as they get. I honestly can say I have the best mom in the world! 

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet blessing you are to me Cindy. I'm so thankful God brought you into my life. I love what your daughter shared about you. You both are so precious and I love you. Dianne C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you for all your hugs for both me and my girls! -alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter has said exactly how most of us feel about you as a mom and friend, Cindy. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beautiful daughter has said what I have
    always observed and feel about you... Thank you for being a special friend - faithful, warm and sweet... I am blessed and thankful that God brought you into my life.
    Mrs. Silcox

    ReplyDelete