Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Mom: Someone You Should Meet


I wish that everyone could know my mom! Let me introduce her to you:

It seems that one of the best ways to get to know someone is by studying the words that they say. All moms are known for some common sayings such as, “If you cross your eyes like that, they’re going to stay that way,” or “Go ask your father”. My mom is no exception. Though she did have some more unusual sayings like, “If you don’t eat the other half of your sandwich, the first half will get lonely in your stomach,” and “If you think your life is unfair, go read the book of Job.”

As I was going through my awkward teen years, the words that she often spoke were, “Be sure to focus more on your inward beauty than you do on your outward beauty.” In high school I remember her telling me, “If you please God, you’ll please the people that count.” I also remember her words, “Don’t just do right… be right. When you are right with God, it will be easier to do what’s right.”

I’m sad to say that, at times, I have taken her words of wisdom for granted. Looking back, I appreciate so much more the effect her words and life had on me.

Before I was married, she reminded me that the greatest joy of her life was to see her children following God’s plan. There was no great sorrow for her on my wedding day. As she put it: “Empty nest syndrome… what’s that? How can I feel empty when God has blessed me so fully?” You see, my mother did not cling to me as though she needed me to fulfill her. My mother’s goal is to please God. When I married the man that God revealed to my parents, as His will for me, my mother’s goal was met. This attitude has taught me to seek God’s will above all else and I will find peace and fulfillment in that.

I’m so proud of who my mother is and the blessing she had been to me and so many other people. My mom and dad work for the same company that I work for. I can’t tell you how neat it is, when people ask me, “Are those your parents? They are so cool!” You see, my mother doesn’t just speak truth, she lives it. And through her life shines the love, joy, and peace that only Christ can give. I hope that my little girl who will be born soon, will see the same genuine Christianity in me, that I see in my mother. I am convinced that there is no greater treasure, that a mother can give to her daughter than this.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed that, Aubrie! I'm thankful for your mom too!
    -alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Mom too Aubrie. Her words of wisdom have helped me so many times too. She is a dear friend to me and a very Godly woman. You honor her with your words here. God bless YOU for that!
    Lynette Van

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Ginger!!!
    love, Emilie and Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. sniff! You and your mom will always be special to me, Aubrie. You both have blessed me with your desire to please God and help others. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete