Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Meet My Beloved Mother Alice Eleanor McHugh






A little over 66 years ago my mother gave birth to me, her firstborn. She held me on my first day of life. On October 24th of this year, her last day on this side of Eternity, I had the privilege to hold her, to sing to her, to reminisce over what a good mother she was to me and to tell her how much I loved her. She was in great pain. Even so, she opted not to have any pain medication because she wanted to spend every moment with my Dad, myself, my brothers, two of her grand daughters,and others, that she could. As I soothed the top of her brow, I remembered back in 1961 when she sat at my hospital bed and rubbed my head for hours. She died early Sunday morning October 25th at age 85.



I owe so much to my mother. She gave me life. My childhood was happy. We walked together in our woods behind the house as she pointed out to me the wonders of God's creation....tall walnut trees, wildflowers, wild blueberries, and unique plants. We found pictures in the clouds. She modeled good moral character to me and was generous with her time and talents. She never allowed her illness over the past 5-6 years to keep her from participating in life, getting out of the house as often as possible for church, ball games, hairdresser, exercise classes, and dining. Knowing that she had a terminal illness impressed on us the importance of talking about the things of life that really matter.



We were poor but always clean and well taught. Most of my clothing was homemade. She was a stay at home mom, but kept very busy working at home sewing, ironing, baking and babysitting to earn supplemental income. Most of the children she babysat, considered her to be their second grandmother. We were never left to ourselves. Our home was a gathering place for all of the neighborhood kids. She memorized football plays with my brothers. She was a friend to our friends and to our teachers whom she yearly invited individually to our home for supper. If we got into trouble in school, there would be double trouble waiting for us at home. She was always very active in cub scouts and school parent teacher organizations and even won the Mother Of The Year award in our city one year. She continued throughout her life to make decorative rugs and clothing that she gave to others, and she loved to make all kinds of candies and other goodies at Christmas time. She would then invite her church friends and neighbors in to enjoy them. She always remembered special occasions with cards for everyone she knew.



She was faithful in church and taught Sunday School for decades until the last few months of her life. She took me to a church where I learned that I needed a personal relationship with the Lord. My parents were our youth leaders when I was in high school. She loved the Bible, read it through yearly, and depended on its truth.





And she loved my Daddy! Every day just before he returned home from work, she would comb her hair and put on her lipstick in preparation for greeting him. They slipped away together each New Year's Eve for a sandwich at their favorite spot. On their 50th wedding anniversary, I overheard someone ask her what it was like to live with someone for so many years. Her reply was, "Oh, it's been fun!" When we children got old enough to get our drivers licenses, my parents moved into the back seat of the car and let us drive while they sat there holding hands. She carried his photo in her wallet which she called her pinup boy. I found it still there last month. She spent her last half hour staring into his eyes, smiled, and then died.



I lived at home with my parents (with the exception of two of my college school years) until the day I married my husband. I had opportunities then to move out on my own, but had no desire to do so. Besides, it would've broken my mother's heart.



The pastor who preached her funeral sermon reminded us that each snowflake is unique. Then he said that we each have our own fragrance too, but more importantly there is a spiritual fragrance about us that is recognizable to others. He spoke of hers.



I have always wanted to be a blessing to my mother and to show her my love, but as a teenager, we quit telling each other that we loved each other. Many years later I chose to begin telling her "I love you" at the end of every conversation. It was difficult that first time, but I am so glad that I got to say it often. I hope that she would be pleased with the woman I have turned out to be. I will miss calling her every Saturday, always knowing that she was interested in my life and wanted the best for me.



All my life long I have dreaded the day when my mother would die. But when the time did come, I felt the Lord's presence with me in a grace-filled, strengthening way .

Her death and funeral is one of those "all places" where God was with me.



"I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest." Genesis 28:15



She will live on in my memories and in the tremendous influence she was in my life. I'm so glad that I could introduce you to my mother.

5 comments:

  1. This was precious. Thank you Eleanor for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you sharing this Mrs. Emslie. It brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful legacy she left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolute blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We could hardly make it to the end of these beautiful & precious penned out memories, without a stream of tears. It is so hard to lose a parent. We can't thank you enough for sharing her with us!

    We love you Eleanor!

    Audrey & Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing these thoughts Eleanor. I love the things you write and the spirit in which you write them. You are always a blessing to my heart. Once again, I want you to know how much I appreciate you and love you. I have so enjoyed serving the Saviour alongside you these past 37 years! Your friendship is precious to my heart.
    Love you much,

    ReplyDelete