Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Mom, My Godly Example


My mom and I are complete opposites in so many ways.  It’s almost laughable! Almost…
As of late, I’ve often found myself wishing that more of my mother’s endearing qualities had passed a little bit stronger to me.  I have found that I am appreciating the person she is a whole lot more as time goes by.
If anyone is around my mother for long, they cannot miss the fact that when she does anything for her family or for her Saviour, that she does it to the very best of her ability.  Her perfectionist tendencies reveals itself.  I used to think of her perfectionism as a negative thing, but I see now that desiring for something to be done right and well, requires time and patience.
Ugh…patience- a trait that I struggled to muster up in trying to apply myself to practicing as a first year violin player...blah!  I frustrated myself!  But now,  I see the redeeming qualities the spirit of patience has.  I do see it as something uniquely beautiful.
My mother has this quality and it makes her even more beautiful to me.
God gets all the glory out of the work my mother does.  She knows, understands, and appreciates the life God has given her and grateful to be saved from the direction of her old life.
Her love for her Saviour isn’t just shown through the words she speaks, but through her actions and the spirit of her actions.  This is a magnificent picture of Christ to me, because this was how His love was demonstrated for all of us.  It wasn’t just shown by the words He preached, but by the action of His dying for you and for me.  He did it in love. It took time.  It took unbelievable sacrifice. It was the ultimate sacrifice.
My mom dies all the time too. She dies to self.  That is what patience and perfectionism requires, and it really is what God requires of all His saints. 
I Corinthians 10:31 “Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
Thank you, mom, for being this shining example to your daughter.  I really covet the ease you have of putting on the cloak of selflessness.  I love you much.
Your ‘Nessa

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Nessa! Thank you, Mrs. Coachman, for being a consistent godly example to me through the years. Thinking back to all the adventures me and Nessa had, you were always a patient and wise counselor. I love you! Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad God brought your mom into my life. It was a blessing to read the things you had to say Vanessa. You mother really is a sweet blessing. I love you both. Dianne C.

    ReplyDelete